Monday, February 14, 2011

MY Chicken Casserole

There is really something beautiful about recipes that you can play with and make your own. If you have been reading my recipes you already know that is the way I cook. I am always changing things around and adding this and taking this out.
A few months ago my co-workers and I were eating lunch and one of them had chicken casserole. It looked so good—like Thanksgiving in one bowl! I’d had it before but never thought of making it because I was afraid someone would tell me that mayonnaise was an ingredient (I am mayo-phobic!). Well, it got to be a trend at the lunch table to bring this. After a few different people brought it I asked them how they made it. I got similar answers from all (and from a friend in the grocery store also while I was shopping for the ingredients the first time I made this). All answers included a lot of butter and, while I love butter, I thought surely I could make it with little or no butter so it would be a little healthier. So, my husband and I played with the ingredients and put them together the way everyone said to and voila—we had chicken casserole! Yum! It is truly one of the easiest recipes I have ever made and requires very few ingredients.

2 c. chopped or shredded chicken
8 oz. package Pepperidge Farm dressing (I have tried both kinds, but I like the cornbread the best)
1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
3 c. chicken broth

FIRST mix chicken and soup together. Add to an 8x8 in. pan.
SECOND mix dressing and most of the chicken broth in a medium bowl. Add to the pan over the chicken mixture. Pat down.
THIRD pour remaining chicken broth over the casserole.
FOURTH put casserole in the oven at 350 degrees until the dressing is golden brown on top and some of the flavorful liquid has been absorbed and evaporated.
I serve this scrumptious casserole with creamed corn.
0214111946
NOTES: Although entirely optional but extremely delicious, sometimes I saute a little chopped celery and onion in olive oil. I add this to the dry dressing mix. I also add whatever spices strike my fancy at the time (parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, herbs de province, celery salt, sage, and rosemary to name a few). I usually add about 1/2 tsp. or less of whatever spice I use—maybe a little more sage. I mix well and then add the liquid.
Sometimes I double the chicken. If I do this I don’t add more soup. One can has been enough and still mixes well.


ENJOY!


Linked up with: Mouthwatering Mondays

TastyTuesday200pix Which Brands Can You Not Live Without?
Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays






Weekend Bloggy Reading

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so good I think that I'll have it for supper!! Am blog hopping and found your blog. Am now following. Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds like a fantastic recipe. We eat a lot of chicken here in our house. :) I've never tried a casserole like this one before...sounds perfect for a weeknight!

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Have fun finding some new reads, and I hope you'll visit Serenity Now again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete