Tuesday, January 18, 2011

This Is The Way We Do Our Chores…



 
 
littlemansweeping

We have tried so many systems for chores in our home (most of them involving some sort of chart). The system that we currently use is very simple (once it is started). A while back I found a notepad at Target in the dollar section that had an entire week blocked out. It also had a convenient magnet on the back so that it hangs nicely on the front of my fridge. I LOVE the dollar section at Target (that’s where I got my grocery list notepad hanging at the bottom of this picture).

chore chart
Since I have three children I tear off three pages. I write each child’s name at the top of their sheet. Then I just plug in different chores that need to be done around the house either that they like to do or that they are able to do. Some chores (like cleaning their bathroom counter and sink) need to be done almost daily. Others need to be done just a few times. Some chores I am teaching them to do properly so they will not be done each day (like emptying the dishwasher and putting the dishes away without breaking them Smile). We also like to assign at least one helper for the day. That child will help either my husband or myself do anything extra that needs to be done. For example, all of our children can get clothes out of the dryer, put clothes into the dryer, or fold clothes and put them away. We found out that it doesn’t work to put this down as a chore for us, so we just have the helpers do this on their helper days.
chore chart2
On Sundays we do not have time for chores while we are going to church  and having family time and resting, so we just have the kids help as needed. Usually this just means get clothes and backpacks ready for school the next day or take clothes out of the dryer or pick up 5 toys or something quick.
Again, as in the previous post, we want our children to be self-sufficient adults. I honestly did not know how to wash clothes until I was married; my husband taught me (no kidding!). I want my children to have that skill way before marriage.
Here is a list of the current chores that our kids do (a few are not on the charts):
  • clean baseboards (with a damp cleaning rag)
  • vacuum
  • clean the bathroom sink and counter
  • swish out the toilet (only our oldest daughter and only with gloves and “green” toilet cleaner)
  • empty the dishwasher
  • sweep bathrooms
  • sweep kitchen
  • clean the kitchen table
  • wipe down kitchen counters
  • empty the bathroom trash into the main trash can
  • gather dirty laundry throughout the house and take to laundry room
  • put clothes in the dryer and turn it on
  • Our oldest daughter is learning to sort laundry and put it in the washer
  • fold towels and put them away
  • fold and hang up their clothes and put them away
  • make their beds
  • put groceries away after a trip to the store
  • help their daddy do yard work
  • water the two living plants that we still have in the house Smile



8 comments:

  1. Great blog! Come see me @ http://carterchaos-ecarter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have already posted this...I'm a new follower on GFC from Friendly Wednesday!

    Carli
    http://www.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a huge part of me that can't wait until my 2 year old can do chores...these days his "helping" is actually a detertant. I need to take clothes out of the dryer, so I'm pulling the clothes out when he gets the bright idea to run over to his dresser dump all the clothes out of it and put them in the dryer while I'm taking the clothes out....bless his heart for his helping spirit though!

    I'm following from the hop skip and jump blog hop and I'd love for you to stop by and check my blog out! Have a great wednesday!

    Heather From and Mommy Only Has Two Hands! and Lynhea Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Frances.. great advice! I've used a similar system, printing and putting up charts all over.. even the bathroom reminding to flush and wipe up etc. It gets kinda hard when they hit the teens though (I have three 19+(at college), 18, 14) It's hard but I'm trying with the four year old. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am your newest GFC follower from Friendly Wednesday! Come check out my blog if you get a chance!

    Great blog post! I can't wait to implement some of your chore ideas with my own kids!

    :)Rachel
    http://livingbetteronedayatatime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips! I have been working on a chore chart for my son, I just need to get it up!

    Thaks for linking up to Friendly Wednesday!

    www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent way to gain help from the kiddos! I have a 3 and 6 yr old and were working at creating a system that fits us... Thanks for all the shared ideas!
    Glad you linked up... Hope you can come back next Monday :)!

    www.dontwasteyourhomemaking.com

    ReplyDelete