Monday, February 7, 2011

Cheeseburger Soup

About three years ago we went to a church soup and sandwich supper before a revival and this wonderful potato soup was on the buffet line. It was love at first taste! I got the recipe (along with a lot of other people, I’m sure), but I have no idea what happened to that treasured piece of paper. This is the way I have made it for two years—without the recipe.
4-6 cups, uncooked potato cut into chunks
6-8 cups chicken stock
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 lb.  ground beef
16 oz. Velveeta, cubed ( I use the 2% Velveeta)
1 cup, milk
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
dash or two of Worcestershire sauce

FIRST, brown the ground beef. Add the carrot, celery, and onion as the ground beef cooks. When the beef is done, drain and add to the crockpot—or stock pot—I do this recipe either way.
SECOND, add the potatoes and chicken stock to the pot. Let this cook for at least 8 hours in the crockpot on low or until the potatoes are done in the stockpot. (If I have them, this is where I add a bay leaf or two.)
THIRD, turn the pot down and stir in the milk. Add the Velveeta a few cubes at time, stirring them in well. After the Velveeta is melted is when I add salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Finish with Worcestershire sauce. I made this one time and my husband added that to the pot and I really didn’t think it would be good, but it really added something special to the recipe.
Garnish with parsley and shredded cheddar cheese. Serves well with cornbread, garlic bread, or really any bread!
0205112017
NOTES: This is not a smooth potato soup, though I am sure you could puree it if desired. Making this soup in the stockpot actually yields softer potatoes than the crockpot version (my picture was cheeseburger soup from the crockpot). Sometimes I just let it simmer in the crockpot longer and use my mixing spoon to smoosh some of the cooked potato in the pot so there are not so many chunks.
If the soup is too hot, the Velveeta can separate and ‘curdle’. The soup still tastes fabulous, it just doesn’t look as pretty.

ENJOY!!








TastyTuesday200pix Which Brands Can You Not Live Without?



It's a Keeper.

Weekend Bloggy Reading

8 comments:

  1. I have to try this recipe!

    New follower here! Found you through the Military Monday blog hop! Stop by my space and say hi!!
    http://mrsheather-lynn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good!! I'm stopping by from the Military Monday Blog Hop! I'm a new follower, I look forward to reading more from you!!

    ~Sarah
    http://confessionsofasailorswife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks DELISH! We make a very similar recipe, its a favorite here. sticks to the ribs! :} Will have to give this one a shot, thanks for sharing. Lovely blog here, first time visit!

    {Sarah beth}
    http://hislovingpresence.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my..this sounds absolutely amazing! I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing :)

    Visiting from Marcie's link up...

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks good and hearty for a cold winter's night meal.

    I'm visiting from Amanda's party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delish, Frances! But you probably already know that since I featured this yesterday. :) I love soup!

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party! Have fun finding some new reads, and I hope you'll come back and visit Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy! Hubby and I saw a similar recipe on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, but it had lettuce in it too. That sounded a little weird to me, but this looks wonderful! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @FrouFrouBritches-I saw that too. The lettuce kind of scared me away too in that recipe. This is honestly one of the best soups I have ever had (and I don't eat much soup). My oldest daughter-very picky-even loves it!

    ReplyDelete